The Garden Club

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tropic of Cancer

I finished Tropic of Cancer last week, probably on Tuesday. Good, not great. Why did he start so erratically, I mean, he didn't keep this method of a free flow form throughout the entire book. Was it just to grab my attention? Sorry Henry Miller, but I've read worse than the word "cunt" before. I suppose this was a big deal back in 1930, but we have progressed way past most of the shocking thing this book talks about. The exception would be the general acceptance of bed begs and STDs. These things still were able to gross me out a little, much more then the profanity.
The story is about Henry Miller living the free life in Paris. It follows his daily adventures of trying to find food and getting laid by prostitutes. He tells many very funny stories about his friends, my favorite was the Gandhi follower who goes to the whore house. Very hysterical. The book also leaves you with that taste for a want of freedom, to live day by day with no cares (much like "On the Road" did). This philosophy sounds fun until that scary period of days without a meal reality hits you. Starving is not fun.

I had a great 30th birthday weekend. Rachelle got me a new guitar! She's a Martin and she's beautiful. I need to figure out how to get pictures up, or maybe video. On Friday we went to dinner at our favorite Tai restaurant in Conshohocken with our good friends the Crookers. They got me Lego Star Wars for Wii. I still haven't been able to be Han Solo yet. Saturday I got a massage up in Yardly, then started looking at house to purchase. Today my parents came over and we went to the Pub, which sucked. Not going back there anymore. Overall it was a fantastic weekend and I can't wait to play some more guitar.

I pray my 30s are in line with my 20s and hope for another decade of growth and happiness.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:06 PM , Blogger Mrs. Robinson said...

    pictures are really easy to add from our computer. use the little 'add image' icon in blogger (it kinda looks like a mini landscape). i think the 'add video' icon is right next to it. internet pictures are a bit tricky..mostly i have trouble with resizing.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home