The Garden Club

Monday, September 25, 2006

Camping

I am a good camper. I think my best camping skill is gathering twigs and small sticks as kindling to start the fire. The key here is to look under trees. At first I was searching the ground in an open field only to discover that twigs do not migrate. Twigs are stationary. My other key to successful stick gathering is to do it during the day when the sun is out. Twigs do not glow in the dark. I also exceed at hot dog cooking over an open fire. I understand that different people have different methods of cooking their hot dog. There's the "put the hot dog directly in the flame" way, but this usually results in burnt hot dog skin and cold hot dog middles and should only be used if your hot dog is covered with bugs that need to be shock killed. A better method is to slowly turn your hot dog about 4 inches above the flames. This allows maximum heat absorption and hot dog deliciousness.

Rachelle, Sofee, and I went camping this weekend at Hickory Run State Park. Why don't I camp more often... or always. Camping is great cause you are never in a hurry. At home I always feel like I should hurry up and do the dishes or hurry up and walk the dog. When your camping there is no hurry because there is nothing else to do. Why would I hurry up and make a fire only to sit there and look at the fire. I wouldn't. I would take my time and construct a tepee of the twigs I gathered and slowly expand into bigger logs.

On Saturday morning we went for a 4 and a half hour hike through the woods, something like 12 miles. It was far, but fun. We took several breaks, but Sofee just wanted to keep going. She would all of a sudden sprint ahead of us to the point where she could not see us anymore, then sprint back. Apparently dogs do not tire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home