The Garden Club

Saturday, February 06, 2010

One of the most common problems I deal with as a chiropractic is the herniated disc. These discs are the cushions between vertebrae. They are made of cartilage, like your ears or the bottom part of your nose. The disc has two parts, the annulus fibrosis and the nucleus pulposus. The annulus surrounds the nucleus and, when healthy, contains the nucleus where it belongs. Picture a jelly doughnut. With a lot of trauma accidents, the nucleus with break through the annulus and stick out into the spinal canal. This is not good. The spinal canal contains your spinal cord which is full of nerve fibers. The broken disc can hit the nerves where they come out of the spinal cord, called the nerve root, causing pain to shoot into the arms or legs. This is commonly known as a "pinched nerve".
When I explain to patients their problem, I tell them that medically and legally this is a permanent injury. That herniation will not likely migrate back into the disc due to the pressure inside that disc. I help them mostly with traction therapy, ice or heat, electric stimulation, rehab exercises, and sometimes massage therapy. I tell the patient that they are likely to experience 6 to 9 months of a fair level of pain, followed by good days and bad days.
This week was filled with many good days. Rachelle and I picked a house to buy and our offer was accepted. There are still many steps before its official, but it appears we are moving to Langhorn, PA. I feel like we got a pretty good deal on a big house and even though its going to be daily projects for the next couple of years, I am really excited. We even have a pool, which is a great dream right now as a watch the snow fall down outside my window.
Dr. Dan had his loptop stolen at work along with his brand new kindel. He called the guy and got it back. Go Dan !
I don't have to work today.
Hopefully this trend continues.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:54 PM , Anonymous Duba said...

    Duba here...dude i'm so glad you have your blog back. I just spent 4 hours straight catching up on it. How's life buddy?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home